I came across this question recently, and would like to address a couple things, or at least express my thoughts here.
Question: Is it fair to require illegal immigrants to take an English proficiency test?
This makes a handful of things come to mind:
- They're illegal immigrants. Is there some calling to round up illegal immigrants and quiz them? I was under the impression that when one is caught holding the status of Illegal, one begins the deportation process. Doesn't it seem like adding insult to injury to require some sort of language assessment when one is already beginning the process of being deported? "Not only are you being sent back to a country that you clearly tried pretty hard to get away from, but we'd like to point out that your English isn't so hot."
- If the question, instead, were something like: "Is it fair to require illegal immigrants to take an English proficiency test prior to being considered for legal status?", then I could understand that part, at least (though I'd still have more issues with this).
- The US does not have a national language. True story: English is not the national language of the USA. True, it is currently the most common language, but it won't be forever. Smith and Jones are making way for Garcia and Rodriguez as the most common surnames in the US.
- What about current US citizens who don't speak English? What about Native Americans -- you know, the only people who didn't immigrate here at some point? If you want to make the argument that, "If you want to live in my country, you should have to speak my language," then shouldn't we all be speaking Algonquian? Na-Dene? Gulf? Or does that not count? I have a hard time following your logic.
- Is it then okay with you to immigrate illegally from an English-speaking country? Or, if one learns English and then immigrates illegally, is that acceptable? Is it all about the order of events? Because I'm rather certain that it's widely accepted that immersion is the most efficient way to learn a new language.
- And then there's this word: FAIR. Is this something we value? Is fairness something we'd like to achieve? How happy would you be if you got exactly what you deserved in life: no more, no less? Consider, while you're reading this on a computer/smartphone, there are people, and not just a few, that risk their lives every day to get water for themselves and their families to drink. And it's not clean water. Oh no. The water we use in our toilets is cleaner than the water they risk their lives to be able to drink. This is water we wouldn't dream of having to drink, let alone giving to our children. So if you want to talk about fair, bring it on. By the way, don't hear me say that I'm above taking things for granted. If only. But you won't hear me complaining about my life being unfair, because, well, I'm damn lucky that it is.
It just seems that there's an unacceptably large portion of the population that needs everyone to be just like them - not because it will improve the world we live in, but just because "this is Merrka." And to you, I say, in the most loving and respectful way possible, get over yourself.
I am unaware of the question regarding the fairness of undocumented workers being required to be proficient in English. That does seem like a stupid question. This seems similar to asking if criminals being sent to the chair should have a mouth guard to protect their teeth.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I have heard others remark that individuals requesting documented status as aliens should be required to be proficient in English. This is obviously a very different question.
Nevertheless, as you pointed out, the United States does not have an “official language.” How can a government require something that is not required? Executive Order 13166 requires that the federal government improve access to services for persons with limited English proficiency. This seems to indicate that limiting access to this country based on English proficiency would be silly.
The rub here is the general intolerance of people. The angst that people begin to display in regards to the immigration issue is extreme and disturbing but is not anything new. People are quick to forget that what they currently have they once desired. Now that they have it, they believe they were always entitled to it. Likewise with immigration. Many of us can look back three or four generations to people who immigrated to this country, some “legally” some not so legally.
I guess my point is that people are obnoxious. The masses pretend that they are upset that these folks are coming illegally, but I get the feeling that this is just a cover for a deep seated xenophobia.
I will say that I don’t agree with your “Native American” stance. While I don’t agree with how this country treated those peoples, I can’t permissively allow people to continuously decry the nearly 200 year old atrocities as current events (include the terrible acts of slavery in this, as well) hoping to add white guilt to the issue. It is a Red Herring and deters from the real conversation around immigration reform. Just as continuously throwing Nazism at each leader who ran for office in Germany would hinder progressive conversation and policy change in that country.